Welcome to March!
Spring is approaching! Who’s ready for warmer weather, flowers, sunshine, and longer days?!
As we look forward to spring, we’re also looking forward to all of the exciting things happening this month here at Burnout Proof Academy.
March 2021 Self-Care at Burnout Proof Academy
We’ve been busy creating new burnout support offerings, and are so excited to share them with you!
Self-Care for Stressful Times – Live Workshop
hosted by Willie Ross School for the Deaf
Willie Ross School for the Deaf is hosting Self-Care for Stressful Times taught in ASL by Brea Cross-Caldwell. We invite all interpreters, students, and Deaf professionals in all industries to join us in slowing down and taking inventory, so we can ensure longevity in our field of service.
Worry and uncertainty make for more charged work situations, and can trigger reactions that aren’t always aligned with our values.
This workshop will teach tools from the Learning Zone Model, mindful awareness, and neuroscience to better work with our brains during times of stress.
We’ll create a triage-care practice to provide daily maintenance through stressful times while building empathy, emotional regulation, and resilience.
This workshop will be held in ASL on Tuesday, March 30th at 6:30-9:00pm Eastern time.
0.25 GS CEUs processed by MassRID, an approved continuing education sponsor. $35
Deaf practitioners (independent living assistants, counselors of all kinds, healthcare workers, school staff and faculty, first responders, case workers, interpreters, and schedulers) are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code.
* WRSD is a “most enabling environment” and we expect and will ensure that the learning environment is safe for all.
* refund policy and cancellation policy are available on the registration website.
* The language of this workshop is ASL. We will use breakout rooms. Your participation in practice activities or discussion is required for CEU credit.
Burnout Proof Book Club
In case you missed the announcement last month, the long awaited Book Club is finally here! Join us for this deep dive into a foundational and transformational Burnout Proof text:
This course is available on-demand, so you can read along at your own pace and go deeper in the online discussion forums. We’ll do a live discussion through zoom on April 28, 2021 from 5:00 – 6:00 pm pacific – we hope to see you there! If you can’t make the live discussion, the recording will be posted so you won’t miss a thing.
1.3 GS CEUs processed by Interpretek, an RID approved continuing ed sponsor. $65
March Oil Protocol: Surrender
Strong Back. Soft Front. Wild Heart.
All too often our so-called strength comes from fear, not love; instead of having a strong back, many of us have a defended front shielding a weak spine. In other words, we walk around brittle and defensive, trying to conceal our lack of confidence. If we strengthen our backs, metaphorically speaking, and develop a spine that’s flexible but sturdy, then we can risk having a front that’s soft and open….How can we give and accept care with strong-back, soft-front compassion, moving past fear into a place of genuine tenderness? I believe it comes about when we can be truly transparent, seeing the world clearly – and letting the world see into us.
Roshi Joan Halifax
As you apply these oils, bring your attention to your senses:
- Inhale the fragrance of each oil separately, and the combinations
- Feel your own touch as you apply them to your body lovingly
- See the colors of the bottles and the amber drops of liquid
- Set intentions with each oil application, grounding yourself in what you know to be true
Invite the properties* of each oil to inspire your intentions:
- Wintergreen – the oil of surrender – inspires us in being open to possibility, letting go of our drive to control what can’t be controlled, or to know what can’t be known. When we are in a posture of open hands, we practice receiving support from whatever direction it comes, and allowing our internal and external experience to act upon us – just as we act upon it.
- Coriander – the oil of integrity – supports the “Human Givers” toward thoughtful stewardship of this one precious life. Rather than neglecting our own needs, we turn toward a willingness to identify and express our authentic desires and take action toward manifesting them.
- Fennel – the oil of responsibility – strengthens the inner fortitude of our spine as a flexible yet sturdy structure of support. We understand that our values underpin our deepest satisfaction, and we strive to align our behaviors accordingly.
- Vetiver – the oil of centering – urges us to connect deeply with our physical body and the support of the earth. This awakening a sense of rootedness and groundedness makes space for discomfort and difficult emotions, giving us a sturdy container to hold the complexities and paradox of ourselves and the world.
*From Emotions and Essential Oils: A Reference Guide for Emotional Healing
May you enjoy this time of transition in seasons and in energy. May you make space for all that’s ready to fall away and all that’s being born – within and around you.
I look forward to all the ways we’ll connect in the month ahead!